Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Food


Keep Checking this post because I will update it from time to time.

So the main staple of food here is rice and beans, but there is so much more! With so many different cultural influences, almost all types of food are available here. The only noticeable missing food here would be Indian, which is strange because the most popular show here is Caminho das Índias. Anyways, my favorite new food here is galinha do coracao or chicken hearts, mmmmmmmmmmmm I could go for some right now, they go perfect with a cold cerveja.
One of the stranger foods I have eaten is Buchada de bode or goat stomach. As far as I can tell its like Mutton, although I have never tried mutton. It is very salty and apparently is full of all the good parts I don't want to think about. It wasn't too bad and I would eat it again.
In case you haven't noticed I have indirectly written that I am rather enjoying the beer here. I have tried Skol, Bohemia, Antarctica and Brahma and enjoy all of them and there respective variants.
This white stuff is consumed like salt in North America. When I first saw it, it was served with spaghetti and everyone was piling it on. So I thought, nice, Parmesan cheese! Nope, Farofa! Don't get me wrong I love the stuff, but it was quite the shock eating it on top of my spaghetti. From what I can tell its from a root and eaten with everything, I personally enjoy it on meat (especially galinha do coracao) and mixed with a type of bruschetta and beans.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!! How r u?

    Well, about Farofa, it usually goes with beans and Feijoada, but there is some crazy people who use it with ANY Food... well, I don't. My Spaghetti is Sacred! The only thing is allowed to go with it tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese. ; )

    ReplyDelete